The purpose of this qualification is to allow Junior Personnel and elected candidates to progress towards a position of farm laborers (operators) with specific reference to Plant Production. The contextualized purpose and usage of the qualification is as follows:
- A learner assessed against this qualification will have the necessary competence to participate as part of a working team, performing the agricultural processes as applicable to Plant production in an established and familiar context under general supervision.
- The Learner will be able to perform directed activities and take responsibility for the guiding others at lower level within a Plant Production context.
- Competency will be gained in any of the specialized sub-fields of Plant Production as specified under Areas Of Specialization (i.e. Vegetables, Fruit Production, Hydroponics, etc.)
- The learner will be able to take responsible decisions within a familiar range based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of Agri-business and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills, all in an Plant Production context.
- The Learner will be able to carry out familiar procedures in a limited environment and will be able to adhere to the relevant safety, quality, hygiene and technical standards as applicable within the industry.
- In addition to the above, the learner will be well positioned to extend learning and practice into other sub-fields such as Plant Production and Mixed Farming, since such efforts will only require additional learning within the elective scope of other qualifications at this level.
- The learner will be well positioned to progress towards higher levels of Management and Technical production practices as defined by qualifications at the next level.
- Learners will be enabled to actively participate in the Primary Agricultural Sector through the production of quality agricultural products, enhancing the overall agricultural process and gain opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
- This qualification will allow qualifying learners to become economically active in farming practices that will have a direct impact on Local Economic Development through the production of food, the improvement of household food security and access to mainstream agriculture.
- Finally, Learners will be able to guide and direct others in terms of the implementation of smaller development projects within a Plant Production context.
- Certificate : National Certificate: Plant Production
- SAQA Qualification ID : SAQA QUALIFICATION ID: 48975
- Minimum Credits : 120
- NQF Level : 2
To enter this program you must successfully complete the Front-Office Assessment. The minimum qualification requirement is Grade 11 and Communication Skills.
Recognition of Prior Learning will be applicable in certain circumstances. This will be dealt with on an individual basis.
- Certified Copy of your ID
- Certified Copy of your guardian / next of keen ID
- Certified copy of Grade 11 Certificate
- 2 Passport Photographs
If your a minor, or if someone else is responsible for your fees, then that person should accompany you at the time of registration to fill in legal documentation
Upgrade opportunities into the Level 3 programmes are available provided that the entry level requirements are met.
- Identify the basic structures and functions of a plant.
Soil is prepared according to the requirements of the crop.
- Propagate plants.
Recognize common insects, disease symptoms and weeds and apply basic control measures
Apply agrochemical products in a safe, effective and responsible manner with consideration to the environment.
Plant a range of crops and monitor the correct establish of crops as well as ensuring that planting is placed and spaced as required.
Manipulate plants by applying a narrow range of techniques