The purpose of this qualification is to allow Junior Personnel and elected candidates to progress towards a position of farm laborers (operators) with specific reference to Animal Production. The contextualized purpose and usage of the qualification is as follows:
- A learner assessed against this qualification will have the necessary competence to participate as part of a working team, performing the agricultural processes as applicable to animal production in an established and familiar context under general supervision.
- The Learner will be able to perform directed activities and take responsibility for the guiding others at lower level within an Animal Production context.
- Competency will be gained in any of the specialized sub-fields of Animal Production as specified under Areas Of Specialization (i.e. Small stock, Large Stock, Dairy Production, Aqua Culture, etc.)
- The learner will be able to take responsible decisions within a familiar range based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of agri-business and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills, all in an Animal Production context.
- The Learner will be able to carry out familiar procedures in a limited environment and will be able to adhere to the relevant safety, quality, hygiene and technical standards as applicable within the industry.
- In addition to the above, the learner will be well positioned to extend learning and practice into other sub-fields such as Plant Production and Mixed Farming, since such efforts will only require additional learning within the elective scope of other qualifications at this level.
- The learner will be well positioned to progress towards higher levels of Management and Technical production practices as defined by qualifications at the next level.
- Learners will be enabled to actively participate in the Primary Agricultural Sector through the production of quality agricultural products, enhancing the overall agricultural process and gain opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
- This qualification will allow qualifying learners to become economically active in farming practices that will have a direct impact on Local Economic Development through the production of food, the improvement of household food security and access to mainstream agriculture.
- Finally, Learners will be able to guide and direct others in terms of the implementation of smaller development projects within an Animal Production context.
- Certificate : National Certificate: Animal Production
- SAQA Qualification ID : SAQA QUALIFICATION ID: 48976
- Minimum Credits : 120
- NQF Level : 2
To enter this program you must successfully complete the Front-Office Assessment. The minimum qualification requirement is Grade 11 and Communication Skills.
Recognition of Prior Learning will be applicable in certain circumstances. This will be dealt with on an individual basis.
- Certified Copy of your ID
- Certified Copy of your guardian / next of keen ID
- Certified copy of Grade 11 results
- 2 Passport Photographs
If your a minor, or if someone else is responsible for your fees, then that person should accompany you at the time of registration to fill in legal documentation
Upgrade opportunities into the Level 3 programmes are available provided that the entry level requirements are met.
- Evaluate animals externally with respect to their internal and external anatomical systems and morphology.
- Explain the basic concepts used in animal nutrition, maintaining, preserving, modifying and enhancing the nutrient value of animal feeds and follow correct on-farm feeding practices.
- Identify and monitor breeding behavior, pre and post-partum behavior of farm animals.
- Harvest animal products, prepare them for processing and identify processes involved in processing of animal products.
- Identify, record and report on abnormal animal behavior and physical abnormalities, supervise the movement and restraint of animals and apply treatment and perform basic procedures.